Sunday, March 4, 2012

WIP NMM - or trying to learn something new

Trying my hand at NMM painting. For a long time I have looked, read about and wondered at the possibility of Painting Non Metallic Metal but never actually tried.

So being briefly 'between' focused painting projects I thought I'd give it a crack. I used the Captain from Assault on Black Reach as its a nice model, plastic, not ever really planning on using it in a game and not a lot of armour showing and with plenty of room to try other colours for comparison.


Now this is a rough WIP but I just wanted to get some of the techniques working. I used a base coat of Calthan brown then added to it Iyanden Darksun through to skull white. The first two colours are foundation paints so I did water them down a lot but with patience and practice I think its not too hard to learn. Very fine brushwork for the pure white spots and line work is needed and I did add some Devlan Mud and Gryphonne Sepia washes into areas to shade or glaze some of the colours but overall for a first attempt while watching tv the other night its encouraging.

I will be trying to simulate silver tones in the next test model but the basics for gold seem to work.

What differnt techniques have you learnt or wanted to try?

4 comments:

  1. Hey mate, most of the gold hilights are in the wrong places - for NMM you have to break away from traditional line hilighting and where you would place those, and instead focus on what metal would look like. If you don't, instead of NMM gold, it winds up looking like caramel coloured ceramic armour, which is kind of what you've achieved.

    One of the best guides for learning it I came across was Vincent Hudons guide to painting Magmatrix, its a good practical simple start that doesnt through you off with information overload.

    Heres the link:
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=105449

    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a break in traditional painting to do it well. I have gone and performed normal highlighting on it which I should not have done.

    That guide is very good and the other techniques and advice in it should be useful to everyone looking to improve.

    Il have another go at NMM and see how I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could be of some help :D Its a reasonably difficult technique to learn up front but one of the more fun ones for sure :D

    ReplyDelete