Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pointy Eared Bastards



Last weekend like a lot of my knife eared kin I got the new High Elf book and no matter what the Druchii in Asur clothing are saying on Ulthuan.net I really am very happy with the book. I also picked up the Spell cards and the new Loremaster model.

Now in the round based game (40K) I usually grumble like an unupdated Dwarf at the writings of Matt Ward but this time I think he has put out some good work. The variety in the new army book opens up a lot of options for themed lists that can be usuable in friendly and tournament games. New Core and Rare choices opens it up nicely.

In 30 minutes of sitting down with the book with Joel from Brush of Doom and Ryan, we worked out a nice themed Lothern Sea Guard list using the new Skycutters, cheaper RBT's and a couple new character options. For the hobbyist, viable forces can be built for all off the ten realms I'm sure. I'm still looking at building an army of Saphery/Hoeth, with the new Loremaster Lord choice and IoB Swordmasters I have painted it would look great.

The variety in the book has lead me to make about half a dozen lists, some fluffy and some more balanced but for now I will take stock of my High Elf collection, see what still needs freeing from sprues and with impending Eldar coming see what I can afford. I will post some lists as I refine and get a chance to have a couple games.

However Warhammer Fantasy is not the only place my elven inclinations are coming through. In our Monday night Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords game which I am actually getting to play - thank you Aaron. I am playing an Elven Wizard named Thyll(short for some name long and elven). Im encompassing the Elven arrogance and treating the other party members, especially the human Paladin like simple hirelings. It hasn't been hard to prove my Elven superiority though as I have managed to be the last one standing in a couple important encounters and managed to drop or crowd control our opponents with some well timed spells - whats wrong with spamming level 0 acid splash. As of last mondays game we have reached the lofty heights of 3rd level, so with level 2 spells and augment summoning added to my feats its time for those Thistletop Goblins to get whats coming to them!

So having finally painted the Mage from IoB I can put aside the prepainted D&D wizard and put this guy on the table for the Pathfinder campaign and what will be numerous uses as an Archmage or scroll caddy in Warhammer.

In the third Elven incarnation I have my beloved Eldar which if you believe the word of the internet will be the next to get a new book. This makes me a very happy gamer. Sure I expect Runes of Warding to get nerfed, tanks to be not that points effecient and to end up spending way too much money on new models but they are my favourite army which I have played through multiple editions of the game. Plastic Wraithguard and a giant Wraithknight thing will probably be the first purchases I make to my trusty Wraith forces and if the new Eldar flyer kit is like the Dark Eldar one I'll get a couple of those as well.

Within the next couple of weeks I should get the Elves on the table and with some proxying see what works and what I can get in order for the next event, Horned Rat/Gobbo.

1 comment:

  1. Agree totally its a great book but man is it hard to figure out what list to take as I want to include everything. Definately bringing them to Horned Gobbo (if the leave pass is approved)

    ReplyDelete